Weight gain on the tummy and struggling to find stylish, flattering, and comfortable ways to dress your new shape? Me too!…
I am now 7 month’s pregnant and, even as a stylist, I’m struggling to find stylish, flattering and comfortable ways to dress my new shape and sudden weight gain.
Here’s the thing, the style principles are the same whether you have gained weight because of pregnancy, the menopause or illness. Although natural, it can be challenging to find the right clothes to flatter your new curves. However, with a few styling tricks, you can embrace your beautiful bodies and feel confident and comfortable in your own skin.
In this blog, we’ll explore how best to style weight gain:
1. Choose the Right Clothes: When it comes to styling a tummy in general, choosing the right clothes is key. Opt for clothes that fit well and accentuate your curves. Avoid clothes that are too tight or too loose, as they can make you feel uncomfortable and unflattering. Look for clothes that are tailored or have a structured fit, as they can help create a streamlined silhouette.
2. Embrace the Empire Waist: The empire waist is a style that flatters any tummy. It’s a high-waisted style that cinches just below the bust, emphasising the smallest part of your body and giving you a flowing silhouette below. Empire waist dresses and tops are great for creating a flattering shape. You can also pair an empire waist top with a great fitting pair of jeans for a comfortable yet stylish look.
3. Embrace the High-Rise: High-rise styles are great for styling weight gain on the tummy. High-rise jeans, skirts, and shorts sit at your natural waistline, which is typically above your tummy area. This can help to create a smooth and flattering silhouette. High-rise styles also elongate your legs, making you appear taller and slimmer.
4. Invest in Shapewear: Shapewear can be a great tool for styling weight gain on the tummy. Shapewear can help to smooth out your curves and create a streamlined silhouette. Look for shapewear that is comfortable and fits well. Avoid shapewear that is too tight or restrictive, as it can be uncomfortable and create bulges in other areas.
5. Accessorise: Accessories can take your outfit from drab to fab. A statement necklace or earrings can draw attention to your face, taking the focus away from your tummy. You can also accessorise with a scarf, which can add colour and texture to your outfit. A cute handbag or tote can also add an extra touch of style to your look.
6. Experiment with Layering: Layering can be a great way to flatter your tummy. Layering can help to create a vertical line that elongates your body, making you appear slimmer. You can layer a long cardigan or jacket over a basic top and leggings or a dress. You can also layer a vest over a blouse or top to create a layered look that flatters your curves.
7. Embrace Comfort: Whether you are pregnant, going through the menopause, or generally bloated, it is a time to be comfortable, so don’t be afraid to embrace it. Choose clothes that feel comfortable and allow you to move freely. Soft, stretchy fabrics like cotton and spandex are great as they move with your body. Avoid clothes that are too tight or restrictive, as they can make you feel uncomfortable and can make the situation worse (look up “tight pants syndrome)
In conclusion, styling weight gain around the tummy can be challenging, but with the right clothes and accessories, you can create a comfortable and stylish look that flatters your curves. Remember, you are beautiful just the way you are, and your body is amazing no matter what size or shape it is. Embrace your curves and rock your unique style with confidence.